Sunday, December 19, 2004

Of Mama's curry chicken and bee hoon -- Charl

This night, almost 5 years ago would be the night I returned to Singapore from Perth for good. Mama went into the hospital the next day. I remember coming back from the hospital the day after and sitting on the make-shift chair under my block talking to Chae Chae (that is, Carlene). Saying that I was afraid Mama would pass on. Can hardly imagine that it's been 5 years. My favourite memory of this time was on the night Mama went back home.

It was late, Gee Pek had decided to close the glass door as he said," I don't think Mama will be leaving us tonight." We - Gwen, Carl, Gary, Val, Cheryl, Gerald, Aaron, Ivan and myself stayed in the living room. We slept by Mama. Me on her left, Carl on her right, Cheryl by her feet and Ivan at her head. Can't remember where everyone else was, but I remember that we were there, the kids, united by Mama.

I will always miss the crowd that gathered wherever Mama was over those special occasions. The things I remember... Grand Towers and Mama's lightning. Cheng tng, lor ark, bee hoon, belachan, sweet and sour pork, birthday noodles. And the sweet corn beef she made for Gary, Chae, Gwen and I one day at Grand Towers. I remember how Mama had shredded the carrots in the bee hoon by hand. And by that I mean, with a knife not a shredder.

I remember the last time I was with her in Perth. It was the end of term for me and truly busy. I didn't get to spend much time with her except to go shopping at Morley. And yes, she loved to shop... she tired me out. The night before she was scheduled to leave for Singapore... I had come home (James's house) and said I was going to sleep. Mama had made me a cup of Milo but I never went back downstairs after my shower.

I remember that morning looking at the cup of cold milo on the counter and smiling. I felt a twinge for not having drunk it last night. Nonetheless, before I left for uni that morning, I said "bye mama, see you in Singapore." She stopped me, made me follow her up the stairs and gave me some money. *smile* She was always thoughtful andd giving that way. I said thank you, ran down the stairs and away I went to Uni.

I will always be grateful for my family, all of you. Thanks to Mama and Kongkong for keeping us well and together. Love you Mama... and I love you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home